Amherst County Habitat for Humanity assesses families on the following basis:
- Need for adequate housing
- Ability to pay 0% mortgage
- Willingness to partner
Applications are accepted during stated enrollment periods, generally once a year during June or December. Applications or further information can be obtained at the Habitat Office, 180 S Main Street or by contacting the office at 434-946-9596 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Families are considered for Habitat housing if their present living conditions are not adequate and if they are unable to obtain a conventional mortgage. Lack of adequate housing may include situations such as overcrowding, structural issues, health risks such as mold, etc. Consideration is also given to the ages and genders of the family members as compared to the number of bedrooms in the present living situation. The income to current housing cost ratio is also considered.
Other qualifications include:
- A one year residency in Amherst County with possible exceptions.
- A minimum credit score of 600. (We suggest monitoring your credit on an app such as Credit Karma in order to discover ways to improve your credit scores.) Credit history includes bankruptcy, judgements, student loans, etc.
- Income in the 30% to 60% of median income for Amherst County, currently $63,600 (HUD determined as of 4/1/18) depending on the number of people in the family. Mortgage payments include taxes & insurance.
- Ability to produce any documentation requested such as identification, pay stubs, income tax returns, etc.
Willingness to Partner includes:
- The homeowner is responsible for 300 total hours of sweat equity with a breakdown of 100 hours per able bodied family member over the age of 18 and the remainder hours through friends & family.
- Financial training classes are available and mandatory to qualify for possible down-payment assistance.
- Ability to work agreeably with Habitat staff, volunteers and others.
Your information is not shared other than as it pertains to the completion of your transaction.